Distemper


Just as I started to work on my computer, my phone rang. Bhavdip, tried to save his life yesterday. I couldn't believe that such a thing could have happened. I called up the doctor at 'Ahimsa' to find out the reason. Distemper, he was suffering with the disease and couldn't make it through the night. Last stage, made his survival even more difficult.

Yes, I saw this puppy yesterday. I saw him for the first time and realized that the puppy was in pain. Eyes half open, unable to walk properly and squealing in pain, the puppy just sat in a corner hoping to be rescued or dead. It was in the afternoon when I heard sudden loud squeals and painful cries of this small, innocent and speechless animal, as if asking for help. Instead of helping, all the passerby's could do was look and go away. Even the shop owner in front of who's shop this puppy was lying just spilled water to make him go away. The puppy couldn't move.

Bhavdip, Sonu and another boy quickly jumped into action and wrapped the puppy in a sheet. I shouted out and asked them to come by the gate while I removed the car. I may have never driven like that before, ever. Jumping signals and almost fighting with a motorcyclist, we reached the hospital where he was diagnosed and sedated to calm him down. We came back home praying that he would be fine.

I got a call today informing me of his death. Maybe, it was a good thing that his suffering ended. He definitely must be playing around in the heavenly garden with all his chew toys and no worries. I was hoping that one day I would bring him back, fit and fine, back to the street where he belonged. Even hoping that it would bring some sense to the people who just decided to pass by an animal in pain.

Now I hope that if only I saw him much before. He would have lived. If someone who saw him everyday realized that he needed help, he would have lived. 

I wish I had a picture of the puppy to show you, to show you that he didn't deserve to die. I wish I could give him a name. I would call him...

Comments