Happy New Year... something is burning.

31st Dec, 2017
11.49pm
10,     9,     8     .     .     .     .     3,     2,     1

Happy New Year!

This was followed by a parade of fire works that lit the sky up and confetti blasts and pyros going up on the DJ Console. Dj Vaggy took over from the fireworks and started belting out Bolly tunes again. I finished the announcements and headed back to the main gate via the heavily crowded VIP section (where a lot of happy party people stopped me and wished me New years; drunk, happy and still dancing).

At around 12.45, Aamchi Police came and asked that the music by shut by 1am. And like law abiding citizens of the country, we agreed. I went through the mad crowd again to reach the console to make the necessary announcements.

I felt a strong current as I touched the Pioneer mixer to reduce the volume. And while I was joking about it with Vaggy, the bouncer on stage suddenly points out at a spark right next to the console. I go to check it out and assume it must be the result of a cigarette and the paper confetti lying on the floor after the blast. I stomp my foot on it. The moment I life my foot up, the small spark turns into a full fledged flame, grabbing the attention of the DJ, the bouncers and the front row of the crowd. Now, the flame was not from the confetti. It was actually sparks from a cut wire and it was making its way to the main box.

Pademonium struck. Vaggy kept his cool (while shifting to his right, away from the sparks) and kept on playing music. The bouncers on stage were ready to jump off at a moments notice, if things could not be controlled. I started signalling the bar that there was a fire and it needed to be looked after.

Not knowing that it was an electric fire, one bartender came running with a jug of water.

Eventually, moments before the sparks turned into a disaster, another bartender came running with a fire extinguisher and kept it on the stage and ran for safety.

I unpinned the damn thing and sprayed the stage clean and clear of any signs of a fire.

Vaggy, breathing a sign of relief, tells me, "Abhi thoda crowd par bhi spray kar de."

L toR: Me and Dj Vaggy (and a cute gal photobombing in the background)

Dj Stash and Dj Vaggy with their trademark ungli pose!

These two doing what they do best. 




Laughter ensued when this incident was mentioned later in the night... errrr... early morning. :)

happy new year hoomans!

P.S.: If anyone of you reading this, happened to be there when the fire incident took place and if you have recorded a video of the same, kindly get in touch. Would love to add the incident on the blog (and show off too). 


Comments