Postman, where are you?


Image result for Indian postman


My oldest memory of letter writing was when I used to write to Vishal, my cousin, who lived in Akola. The arrival of the post man was the high point of my day and not receiving a letter with my name on it was the low.

The art of writing with a pen lost its battle to a keyboard/keypad. With that, humans also lost the art of patience and thinking. Now, with computers making things fast, we have become impulsive writers who just go on and on about anything and everything. A part of this is also the fact that now we are not worried about wasting tangible paper so we blab and blab nonstop. We do not realise that it is, in fact, waste of intangible electricity.

I still remember the days when the post man was an important person. He'd walk in the gate and people would greet him and ask him if he had something for them. They were a little part of our lives where they would know what we were expecting and would also ask for a treat as they would have got the news we were waiting for.

For me, it was that one letter. Vishal, my cousin, lived in Akola and we didn't get to see each other that often. So, whenever my aunt to write to my mom (sisters), I would also get a letter from Vishal. We were not big on conversations back then. But it was fun.

Being school boys, we'd write about school, studies and other things like weather, hobbies and fun events on a day to day basis. Vishal was the smarter one and always spoke academics, while I just spoke about random things.

Those were memories that I still cherish. I still write in my journal as compared to on the computer, but honestly, I am more leaned towards the electronic age due to it's convenience in this fast paced world. A world where millennial's would not even know what a post box is. We don't see them anymore.

Guess some things are best preserved in memory.

P.S: Is there any pen pal club that I am not aware of?

Comments