RIP Motorcycle Changpa

(LtoR) Prasenjit, Gaurav, me and Manish (Team ROML)
w/ a few happy riders after a successful journey on motorcycles. 

Very rare are the times when you meet someone and appreciate that person purely for following his passion. Some people live their entire lives without ever meeting such people. Some, like me, get lucky.

I had the pleasure of working as a Road Captain in Ride of My Life, owned by Gaurav ley. If you've ridden enough in these mountains, you have to have heard of him. He was a well respected traveler and the mountains and the people had accepted him as their own. 

Over the next 6 months, I rode the mountains for ROML and I lived a life that I needed. I was one with nature, riding a motorcycle on some of the most dangerous roads in the world. Riding to the highest roads in the world. Seeing the true beauty of India and earning my respect from the mighty Himalayas. 

Eventually, the mountains marked me too. It marked me as its own and accepted me with all its might. We shall talk about this some other day.

I spent almost 6 months riding with a legend. We'd stop somewhere for tea and other riders would look at him and come to shake hands with him and say hello and even click pictures with him. 

Gaurav lived his passion. Ride of My Life was his passion. Living in the mountains is what he knew. He is the reason why, every year, bikers would experience the sheer challenge, adrenaline and joy of riding an untamable Royal Enfield, on some of the most untamable roads in the world. 

Gaurav was a 'Motorcycle Changpa'

24th May, 2020.

Gaurav ley is not longer with us. He made solo riding famous with 'Riding solo to the top of the world.'
He committed to promoting motorcycling as the perfect way to see the world. And now, he has left on his next mission. He is gone to create a passion for riding in the world beyond ours. 

Gaurav ley, thank you for being yourself and, in that process, making us accept and live the life of passionate motorcyclist. 

Gone too soon!

You'll be missed. 

Julley!

P.S. Watch his award winning non-feature film, 'Riding Solo to the top of the world.' here

Comments